Daniel and Manton discuss Sal Soghoian’s sudden departure from Apple, and what it may mean for Apple’s future ambitions with automation. Then they react to Apple’s alleged decision to abandon their line of AirPort branded routers, and bemoan the loss of yet another “just buy the Apple one” peripheral option.
Many thanks to our sponsor this week:
- buddybuild: mobile continuous integration & delivery made easy!
- Terrible News from Sal Soghoian – Andy Ihnatko breaks the news from MacTech about Sal Soghoian’s departure from Apple.
- Mac OS X Automation – Sal Soghoian’s long-time automation reference site for the Mac.
- Frequently Asked Questions – Straight from Soghoian: answers to questions about his departure.
- AppleScript, the Perfect Adjunct to iTunes – An open letter from Kirk McElhearn to Apple CEO Tim Cook.
- FastScripts – Daniel’s Mac-based AppleScript launcher and menu utility.
- MacScripter.net – Long-time resource for AppleScript and other Mac automation technologies.
- Hypercard – Ancient Apple technology featuring the AppleScript-ish HyperTalk programming language.
- Workflow – iOS-based automation app.
- Automator – Higher-level scripting technology introduced by Apple with Mac OS X 10.4.
- Cocoa Scripting – Cocoa infrastructure for app-makers to support AppleScript and other OSA languages.
- SwiftAutomation – Swift-based automation solution from Hamish Sanderson.
- Abandoning Airport – Bloomberg report on Apple’s reported departure from the WiFi router market.
- Eero – A popular mesh-networking WiFi router provider.
- Success Hides Problems – Stanford Business School article about Ed Catmull’s business philosophy.