Daniel and Manton react to the promo trailer for Planet of the Apps, and discuss whether it lives up to Apple’s name. They compare the show with other reality television such as the Great British Baking Show and Project Runway. Then they revisit the Siri/Alexa comparisons in response to Eddy Cue’s recent comments on the subject, and debate the wisdom or foolishness of Apple’s conservative approach with SiriKit intents.
Many thanks to our sponsors this week:
- Digimarc: The best mobile scanning solution today. The only solution for tomorrow.
- Linode: Cloud Hosting for You.
- Planet of the Apps – Apple-backed reality show about “app development.”
- Motorola ROKR – Video of Steve Jobs presenting the iTunes/Motorola phone.
- Great British Baking Show – The PBS rebroadcast of the Great British Bake Off.
- Project Runway – Popular American fashion design competition show.
- Gary Vaynerchuk – Motivational entrepreneur and judge on Planet of the Apps.
- Dan Bricklin – Co-creator of VisiCalc.
- Mitch Kapor – Founder of Lotus.
- Jean-Louis Gasee – Medium blog of the former Apple CEO.
- Dave Winer – Inventor of RSS.
- Marissa Mayer – CEO of Yahoo!
- Bozoma St. John – Apple Music’s head diva of global consumer marketing.
- Eddy Cue and Ben Silverman – Interview at Code Media 2017.
- Starbucks Reorder – Alexa skill for automating Starbucks orders.
- SiriKit – Apple documentation for Siri’s comparatively more constrained developer API.
- TwIM Review – John Voorhees of Macstories reviews a SiriKit based Twitter messaging app.