Manton and Daniel react to Chris Lattner’s departure from Apple to Tesla. They ponder the consequences to Apple of having open-sourced Swift, and how important it was for Lattner to see it done before he left. They indulge in imagining what Apple might have offered to try to keep him, and how Elon Musk may have pitched him to leave. Finally, the two react to Medium’s layoff announcement, and hints of a new business model for the company.
Many thanks to our sponsors this week:
- Linode: Cloud Hosting for You.
- Swift Project Lead – Chris Lattner announces that he will be leaving Apple at the end of January.
- Welcome Chris Lattner – Tesla announces Lattner’s joining the company head of their Autopilot engineering team.
- Last to Know – Tanya Lattner quips about her husband’s career change.
- Renewing Medium’s Focus – Ev Williams announces Medium’s layoffs and forthcoming change of business model.
- It’s So Obvious – 2011 announcement of Obvious Corporation re-founding by Biz Stone and Evan Williams.
- Medium May Not Last – Manton reacts to the Medium news.
- A WordPress-like Approach – Daniel quips that Medium could look to Automattic’s business model for inspiration.
- Other People’s Highlights – John Gruber gripes about Medium’s annotation feature.
- Centralized Websites – Manton’s reaction to an Ev Williams interview in which he predicts the end of “individual websites.”
- Cool Idea – WordPress founder Matt Mullenweg tweets a kind link to Manton’s Kickstarter.