Daniel and Manton talk about the Release Notes conference, which Manton is attending. They commiserate on the challenge of digging oneself out of software release rut, and take stock of the ups and downs each has had over the years. They talk about Twitter’s acquisition rumors, and ponder which acquirer would cause the best outcome for the company and its users. Finally, they talk about Daniel’s consideration of a hybrid subscription and flat-payment freemium approach to selling software, and the benefits and challenges therein.
Many thanks to our sponsors this week:
- Indeed Prime: Let top tech companies apply to you.
- Fabric, Twitter’s mobile SDK: Leverage the power of Crashlytics, Twitter and MoPub to help you build the best mobile apps.
- Release Notes Conference – Indianapolis based business dedicated to indie software business.
- Çingleton – Erstwhile Montréal based conference.
- Christina Warren – Release Notes speaker and long-time technology journalist.
- Simple Beep – A podcast about the history of the Apple community.
- Stephen Hackett – Co-founder of Relay FM.
- Brent Simmons – Long-time Mac developer and blogger.
- Sounded Like Nirvana – Supertop podcast interviews Brent Simmons.
- Lonely Sandwich – Home page of Adam Lisagor, the internet’s favorite pitch man.
- Salesforce – Potential Twitter acquirer.
- Quip – Example of a previous Salesforce acquisition.
- YouTube Red – A paid, ad-free YouTube experience.
- Subscription Pricing – Manton’s NSConference talk from 2014.